3 eggs, large
1 cup maple syrup or honey
2 cups plain regular or Greek yogurt (3%+ fat)
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cacao powder
2 cups whole wheat flour
- Place 2 cake pans bottoms down on 2 pieces of parchment paper, circle around with pencil, then cut out each circle with scissors. Place cut outs inside of each cake pan and spray with cooking spray covering the sides. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, add eggs and maple syrup, beat with an electric mixer for 30 seconds or until well incorporated. Add yogurt, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, salt and beat with a mixer for 30 seconds.
- Add cacao powder and using a whisk, whisk until well mixed. Add flour and whisk until smooth and well combined. Do not over mix but whisk until smooth consistency. Divide batter between 2 previously prepared cake pans and bake on a bottom rack for 27 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, prepare the frosting. In a large bowl, add yogurt, maple syrup, cacao powder and vanilla; whisk well. Refrigerate until ready to assemble the cake.
- Remove cakes from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Using a spatula, separate the edge of each cake from the pan, flip over on your hand, peel off parchment paper, and place bottom down on a cooling rack. Let cakes cool off completely before assembling.
- When ready to assemble the cake, using long (fillet) knife, cut each cake in half lengthwise. Place bottom layer and spread 1/4 of frosting on it. Repeat with remaining layers. Decorate however you wish. I grated a few candies on top, you could use sprinkles, fresh berries or icing sugar.