Here is a really fabulous mixed fruit pie that is perfect for holiday meals or really anytime you have a craving for something sweet, but also healthy and nutritious. Made with ancient white Kamut® (Khorasan Wheat) flour, fresh apples and peaches, and dried dates, raisins, and cranberries, it has a fantastic mix of flavors and textures. Pair its taste of fall harvest time with coffee or tea to keep you warm all winter long. Sure to be a favorite!
Crust (1 – Double Crust 9” Pie):
- 2.5 cups White Kamut Flour
- 1 cup Butter
- ¼ to ½ cup Water
- 2 Tbs Date Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4-6 cups Combination of fresh, peeled, sliced tart Apples and chopped Peaches
- ½ cups Chopped Dates
- ½ cups Golden Raisins
- ½ cups Dried Cranberries
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp Cardamom
- ¼ tsp Dried Ginger
- Combine crust ingredients thoroughly using a food processor or hand pastry cutter .
- Put the pie dough in a covered container and refrigerate ½ hour.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Roll ½ the dough to ⅛” thick disk and place in pie plate .
- Fill with combined fruit filling.
- Roll out other half of dough and place on the pie for the top crust. Crimp edges. Decorate and vent as you like.
- Sprinkle top with a pinch or two of date sugar.
- Bake 14 min. @ 425°F, then bake an additional 40 to 45 min. @ 350°F until golden brown.