- 330g home-milled whole grain Turkey Red wheat berries (2 1/2 cups flour)
- 130g home-milled whole grain white Sonora wheat berries (1 cup flour)
- 415g water (1 3/4 cups)
- 80g sourdough starter, whole grain turkey red (1/3 cup)
- 8g salt (1.5 tsp)
- Mix the flour and water, cover and let sit at room temperature 1-2 hours.
- Gently fold in the salt, pausing if the dough starts to tear. Wait 5-10 minutes and then do the same with the starter, cover and mark this as the start of the bulk fermentation.
- Over the next 4-7 hours, perform two (or more) rounds of coil folding and one of lamination.
- Scrape the dough out onto a floured surface, preshape and rest the dough for 20-40 minutes, depending on the feel of the dough (longer if cool and tight).
- Shape the dough and place it in a floured proofing basket to proof anywhere from 1 hour at room temperature to overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat your oven and baking vessel for a minimum of 30 minutes at 500F.
- Flip the dough onto parchment paper, score and lift into your baking vessel. Cover, place in the oven and drop the temperature, baking at 450F:
- Covered for 30 minutes
- Uncovered for an additional 10-15 minutes
- Internal temperature should be over 205F.