Use this recipe for a healthier approach to a Chunky Chocolate Cookie. Red Fife heirloom wheat adds a nutty flavor and rich color. Being a whole grain, it contains the bran and wheat germ for increased nutrition and healthy fiber. We recommend using date sugar for less of a glycemic spike. The point is, you can happily enjoy these cookies with less guilt!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: approximately 48 cookies
- ¾ cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup date (or dark brown) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup Red Fife heirloom whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups organic semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla and eggs to the mixture and beat
- well. In a separate bowl, combine the flours, cocoa, baking soda, and salt, then blend this
- into the butter/sugar mixture until well incorporated. Add the nuts and the chocolate chips and
- mix thoroughly.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350° F for 10-12
- minutes. Do not over bake. Yields about 4 dozen cookies.